+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you spread Hair dye evenly?

Default How do you spread Hair dye evenly?

This is my 3rd attempt of dying my hair from a box...and all the previous times, I end up covering 2/3 of my hair...I don't get what i'm doing wrong...i follow the instructions from the box :/

What are some tips and techniques I can use?

(i'm a guy btw, so no youtube links of girls dying hair plz, i watched them, not much help)

EDIT: my hair is black...using blonde dye...(which in prior tries turned it light brown)...
    I start out with dry hair...i DID hear lightly damp hair spreads products better

EDIT2: Thanks everyone, i just let someone do it for me (she dyed her own hair before and came out great)...i mentioned the bag n' everything else! hope it comes out nice...i'm typing this as im waiting for the color to turn :3
    Last edited by WongGeGe; 02-10-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: How do you spread Hair dye evenly?

rub the dye into hair hard and massage your scalp with it in, it helps to spread the dye. my mom does it to me when she does my hair and it always works thou it hurts a little.

oh and make sure you use alot if not all of the dye.

DON'T MASSAGE IT INTO YOUR SCALP!!!! It can burn massive or gives you such an ugly look. + most packages do not even recommend it.

I normally do one of the following things:

1. Mix your bottles and empty tehm into a specian hairdye bowl and apply the dye onto your hair with a special brush. Do this layer for layer. This way you have each layer done nice and evenly.

2. apply the dye and brush it trough with a non metal comb. This way you will spread the dye evenly. (if needed, with long hair, section it into pieces)

3. let your mum/friend do it for you. Some dye can be a killer to get it in yourself.

Hope these helped you out =D

Haaaaay!~

Quote Originally Posted by laura-aap View Post
    DON'T MASSAGE IT INTO YOUR SCALP!!!! It can burn massive or gives you such an ugly look. + most packages do not even recommend it.

I normally do one of the following things:

1. Mix your bottles and empty tehm into a specian hairdye bowl and apply the dye onto your hair with a special brush. Do this layer for layer. This way you have each layer done nice and evenly.

2. apply the dye and brush it trough with a non metal comb. This way you will spread the dye evenly. (if needed, with long hair, section it into pieces)

3. let your mum/friend do it for you. Some dye can be a killer to get it in yourself.

Hope these helped you out =D
    no matter what kind of hair color ive used ive never once had it burn nor leave a ugly look. in fact rubbing it into my scalp is about the only way i can get hair dye to stay in my hair for any time at all instead of fading fast.
    Last edited by deathsseraphim; 02-09-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deathsseraphim View Post
    no matter what kind of hair color ive used ive never once had it burn nor leave a ugly look. in face rubbing it into my scalp is about the only way i can get hair dye to stay in my hair for any time at all instead of fading fast.
    do you use semi permanent or full permanent dye?/

Also, I would so not recommend this with bleach XD

+ I find the (what's it called in english) seperation line ugly when it's the smae color. esp. when it comes of partly...

Haaaaay!~

Quote Originally Posted by laura-aap View Post
    do you use semi permanent or full permanent dye?/

Also, I would so not recommend this with bleach XD

+ I find the (what's it called in english) seperation line ugly when it's the smae color. esp. when it comes of partly...
    ive used both.

no i definitely wouldnt do it with bleach.

Blog Entries

Are you applying on wet or dry hair? I find it always comes out more even if your hair is a little wet when you put the dye on.

I also start from back to front...

I'm sorry I can't be much help :P

edit: ooh and another ting, just grab a blob and rub it evenly over your hands, then rub your hands over your hair. Don't pour from the bottle straight to your hair cos it's relaly hard to do it evenly like that.

Another thing is that the colour might be developing too quickly, so the first bits you dyed could be stronger than the last, giving uneveness. You can slow it down by mixing the dye with conditioner or shampoo
    Last edited by babytarragon; 02-10-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Latte Bunny - My blog

Your a guy and cant get your head fully covered? How long is your hair?
    I have almost chin length hair and I just used HALF a bottle of palty to cover my whole head. Palty is notorious for being very ungenerous in its product content.
    Maybe you are globbing it too much in some places?
    I always use a wide tooth plastic comb as my last step, gently combing through my hair and it gives each strand an even coat. My hair comes out very even. I usually dye my hair dry as I hear water slightly slows the lightening action of developper.
    Cotton Candy runs through my viens....
    My beauty blog- http://sailorsometimes.blogspot.com/

like laura said, i find it's way more efficient to apply color with a color brush. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Wide-Tint...efault,pd.html <- looks like that. it spreads more evenly and you can apply it a lot faster.

separate your hair into four sections (down the middle, and across the top of your head from the top of one ear to the top of the other ear). outline all the sections with color. starting at the top of a section, take one inch sections and apply just enough color to saturate the hair, work all the way down. move to next section, repeat.

when you're all done, use a wide tooth comb and comb through your hair softly (any kind of color destabilizes your hair, it's not good to be rough with it). also anytime the color dries, it stops working. best way to keep it moist is to cover your hair with a processing cap or do it ghetto like me and use any plastic bag x) it also traps body warmth which helps color penetrate your hair.

then when you go to wash the color out, briefly put your head under warm water. act like you're shampooing your hair, lather the color up. let it sit for a few more minutes, THEN completely rinse.

perfecto color application~

I agree: colour brush and a bowl work best.

Also someone mentioned to make you hair a bit wet ,I found it's working as well. Just make your hair wet with water without shampoo and dry it a bit with a towel.

Massaging dye onto your hair can work ,I'm not really sure about rubbing it into your skull.

Keep in mind to not have like dye dripping off on some places on you head because then the colour can turn out a bit different then in the places with less dye.

after applying the dye put a plastic bag or those plastic shower thingies on your head will make the colour more intensive and nicer.

Some people comb their hair to apply the dye evenly however I don't recommend it myself because when you do it you loose loads of hair by pulling/breaking them with the comb.
    Last edited by LivMary; 02-10-2010 at 06:58 PM.

I usually mixed it in a bowl and evenly put it in my hair. For example I am using hair products like wax to spike my hair for example I will know how much I am spreading. It's hard, but I have shorter hair so It'll be easier.

Just listen to the people above
    Sub my youtube pls.. youtube.com/LondonYaDig ;]

+ Reply to Thread